Top 5 Essential Summer Accessories for Women
It has been a long, dark and cold winter which everyone will be glad to see the back of. Thankfully, it finally looks like some good weather is on its way and the tell-tale signs of spring are beginning to appear.
Hopefully, the Great British Summertime won’t disappoint, as warm days and long evenings are unbeatable. According to tourism agency VisitBritain, we have 9,000 miles of beautiful coastline and empty beaches where we can enjoy the upcoming clement weather – which will also mean raiding our respective wardrobes for suitable gear.
The change in seasons is always a great time to indulge in some much-needed retail therapy. With shops already beginning to stock summer clothing and accessories, it’s time to say goodbye to those huge overcoats and woolly jumpers and hello to cute bikinis and gorgeous, sheer dresses.
It is not always possible to give your wardrobe a complete overhaul, but you can raid your winter items and sell designer clothes online, should you have some. With that extra cash, think about these essential additions to your sunshine-inspired attire.
- Sunglasses. The ultimate summer accessory is not only fashionable but also functional, protecting your eyes from the sun’s powerful rays as well as making you stand out and look great. There are so many different styles and designs out there, so it is advisable to try on as many different pairs as possible. This summer, retro 1940s sunglasses with circular frames will be more popular than ever, but floral and pearl embellished 1950s cat-eye frames are also a good bet.
- Footwear. Despite being the most comfortable option, you won’t want to compromise your style with unflattering flip-flops; but wearing heels at the beach isn’t a great idea either. So why not try wedge sandals? They are perfect for various summer social situations, comfortable to wear and most important of all, look fabulous. For the conservative approach, find a pair made from classic materials like leather, cork or canvas. For a brighter and more daring summertime look, try floral designs, animal prints or bright colours.
- Headwear. The beanie was one of winter’s most essential items, but now the time has come to leave your woolly accessory behind in favour of an oversized floppy-brimmed hat. Brilliant at the beach to protect you from the sun, a classy hat will add a touch of sophistication to any casual outfit.
- Handbag. Instead of choosing an oversized handbag that won't compliment your minimalist summer style, go for a clutch purse instead. Big enough to carry around your regular essentials as well as any other necessary summer accessories like sun cream, a clutch bag is still a cute and compact addition to your outfit. Available in a range of styles to match any occasion, they are usually relatively cheap, meaning you have a collection ready for every eventuality.
- Scarf. A lightweight scarf can dramatically improve a standard summer outfit with a bit of colour or an attractive pattern. Silk scarves feel great against your skin, while ones made from cotton can also be used in different seasons.